Bryan

Default Anchor lines

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
In article ,
Bryan wrote:
The two anchors off the bow creates cross-over potential, that is rodes
crossing between boats. I would think that bow and stern in tight
quarters
eliminates the swing issue and reduces the potential of crossing
lines/rodes.

I've only used moorings, single anchor off the bow, and bow and stern
anchoring. I've practiced the other options you've offered, but never
used
them.

This thread is going to force me to grab my Annapolis Book of Seamanship
and
review the anchoring chapter!

And, you might be in a situation when bow/stern won't do what you
want. For example, if other people have only one or multiple bow
anchors out. Your neighbor would swing into you.

The best rule of thumb is to follow the lead if you're not there
first. If you are there first, you get to set the precedence, assuming
you know what you're doing of course.

I'm familiar with other anchoring techniques and have practiced them, but
have never been in a setting requiring their execution. One of my
anchorages, swing is not an issue, the other, bow and stern is the custom.

Bryan