Jeff

Default Anchor lines

Bryan wrote:
When anchoring with chain and rope rode, ensure that you have adequate
swing room.

Jack

The two anchors off the bow creates cross-over potential, that is rodes
crossing between boats. I would think that bow and stern in tight quarters
eliminates the swing issue and reduces the potential of crossing
lines/rodes.

If you're in such close quarters as to risk fouling rodes with other
boats, you had best be anchoring with the same technique as your
neighbors. I've had some minor bumps but try to avoid situations
where there is any risk of fouling. The only nasty that comes to mind
I had all chain and my neighbor had about 200 feet of rope (in about
15 feet of water). When the wind shifted I stayed in essentially the
same place, and he swung about 400 feet.

I double anchor (with two forward) fairly frequently, but have never
had a problem fouling, probably because its so easy to predict where
you're going to end up.

I've only used moorings, single anchor off the bow, and bow and stern
anchoring. I've practiced the other options you've offered, but never used
them.

This thread is going to force me to grab my Annapolis Book of Seamanship and
review the anchoring chapter!

If you really want to learn, get the book by Hinz. And talk to people
who have used a variety of techniques.