Mark Browne

Default compass deviation

"Jürgen Spelter" wrote in message
Hi,

I bought a dutch steal steel shipband I want to install a new compass.
Has anybody a tip how to adjust compass deviation?

regards

Juergen

You must take my advise with a grain of salt, as I don't hold a certificate
of proficiency in compass deviation:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/marinesafety/TP/...-chapter24.htm

With this in mind, I will point you to an authoritative source:

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-o/cgaux/Pub...w/chap14-c.pdf
and
http://www.woodfreeman.com/pdf/compasses-nautical.pdf

I seem to remember something on the topic in Bowditch.
http://www.marineplanner.com/bowditch/chapt-06.pdf

If you like to approach the procedure in an organized way:
http://www.tpub.com/content/administ...s/14221_73.htm

Naturally, there are books on the topic:
http://www.sheridanhouse.com/catalog...mpasscorr.html
and
http://www.maritimeusa.com/metconts/section11.html

What boats.com has to say on the topic:
http://www.boats.com/content/default...contentid=1139

The last time *I* had to do this, I just followed the card that came with my
compass - things seem to have worked out OK, so I can say that it is
possible to get success. It did not take much adjustment to get satisfactory
results. The adjustment were very touchy.

Best of luck,

Mark Browne