Bryan

Default Anchor lines

wrote in message
On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 16:38:28 GMT, "Bryan"
wrote:

"Gordon" wrote in message
. ..
How do all you cruisers keep your boats from walking all over the place
when using brait or nylon at anchor? Chain lays on the bottom and pretty
much holds you in one place but line lets a boat roam at will. How do
you
prevent that?
Gordon

Bow and stern anchoring where swing radius is a concern.

A bow and stern anchor is used to hold a bow into waves when wind and
waves are from different angles. To reduce swing, use two anchors off
the bow - either a Bahamian moor (anchors at 180 degree) or two
anchors at 60 to 90 degrees. Or in a calm anchorage, a stern line to
shore may be used. That is very common in our more popular West Coast
anchorages; rings have attached to rocks and cliffs in many of the
marine parks.

When anchoring with chain and rope rode, ensure that you have adequate
swing room.

Jack

The two anchors off the bow creates cross-over potential, that is rodes
crossing between boats. I would think that bow and stern in tight quarters
eliminates the swing issue and reduces the potential of crossing
lines/rodes.

I've only used moorings, single anchor off the bow, and bow and stern
anchoring. I've practiced the other options you've offered, but never used
them.

This thread is going to force me to grab my Annapolis Book of Seamanship and
review the anchoring chapter!