Jeff

Default Anchor lines

Larry wrote:
Jeff wrote in news

Are you sure you need all that chain?

Yes, it's all chain and very handy in many situations

Well, I was asking Gordon. Since the Amel is over 50 feet and
displaces about 20 tons, its not quite the same situation.

Gordon was asking about 300 feet of chain. I've anchored all over the
East Coast and can only think of a few places I've deployed more than
150 feet. Much of the time my 50 feet of chain on a nylon rode is
effectively all chain with a snubber.

Where do you cruise?

Offshore from the Caribbean to Wilimington, NC, homeport is Charleston.

Do you have a powered windlass?

In a blow, in your skivvies, you can adjust the
anchor chain rode from the comfort of the covered cockpit without going up
forward to fight with the damnable windlass clutch to pay out more chain,
now....really handy.

Do you leave the chain in the windlass as your primary stopper? I
didn't think that was recommended, especially in a blow. I always
transfer the load to a cleat, but on my cat I use a bridle, so I don't
do too many midnight adjustments. Even when I used all chain on a
heavier monohull, I usually had a snubber.