Larry

Default Anchor lines

Jeff wrote in news
Are you sure you need all that chain?

Yes, it's all chain and very handy in many situations

Where do you cruise?

Offshore from the Caribbean to Wilimington, NC, homeport is Charleston.

Do you have a powered windlass?

Yes, the Amel comes with a very heavy duty, one-way, single footswitch
windlass. Taking it apart to grease it and inspect its brushes/commutator,
I noted it has windings and hookups for both directions. The powered
roller furler had been replaced by the first owner with a manual furler,
leaving two 250A contactors with nothing to do in the v-berth port cabinet
next to the single 250A contactor for this windlass. So, I rewired the
windlass for dual directions and added another foot button switch for down
as well as the original up haul. I commandeered one of the furler
contactors to provide the other direction, pulling in extra wires from the
windlass to it.

Back in the center cockpit, the electric furler had a control on the
console to wind the headsail in and out. That was commandeered to also
power the now-bi-directional windlass by remote control from the helmsman's
seat, both up and down. In a blow, in your skivvies, you can adjust the
anchor chain rode from the comfort of the covered cockpit without going up
forward to fight with the damnable windlass clutch to pay out more chain,
now....really handy. One person can also singlehand the anchor in and out
in badweather once the anchor is free of its safety lock for sea. This is
nice when you're shorthanded. The chain has never jammed in either the bow
roller, windlass' deep chain grooves or in the hawsepipe into the deep
chain locker with all that chain pulling down on it through the hawsepipe,
so this works very well.