Doug Kanter

Default Better *Defensive* Handgun

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Dan Krueger wrote:
Harry Krause wrote:

Dan Krueger wrote:

I'd take a Glock 34 any day over that wheelgun. Fully legal mag on the
Glock holds 17 rounds, standard barrel is 5" long, and if you need
them, lasergrips are available. Oh, and my guess is the semi-auto
mechanism is inherently more accurate than the wheelgun's.

You have a single or double action wheelgun? If double, you keep a
chamber empty for safety's sake? If so, that means the G34 mag holds
more than three times the number of rounds.

How is that 17 round magazine legal? Pre-ban?

Nope. Perfectly legal in Maryland.

I always thought that was a federal law. Here's what I found on it:

"When Browning had to come up with a ten round magazine to satisfy the
demands of Clinton's 1994 law, they put a little spring on the bottom. I
don't mean to be uncomplimentary when I say it resembles a rat-trap."

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...112128013/pg_2

Dan

Thanks for the article. Massad Ayoob is definitely "the man," or at least
one of them. The "law" limiting the capacity of magazines expired. States
now regulate the max capacity. In Maryland, a 17-rounder is ok. I think
the limit here is a 20-rounder. There are 33-round mags available (in
Virginia, for example), but not in this state.

I've shot a couple of Browning HP's. They are fine pistols. But if I were
going to buy a handgun for defense, the first one on my list would be a
Glock in 9 mm, full frame. They are sturdy, elegantly simple, reliable and
accurate. They're not a race gun, but they're ideal for their purpose.

The rule is that you're better off carrying a gun you're comfortable with,
as opposed to no gun. But still, you'd be better off with a .40 cal or .45
cal Glock. 9mm is a pretty anemic round for defense, which is why so many
police departments have abandoned it.