Doug Kanter

Default Better *Defensive* Handgun

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 02:43:53 GMT, Dan Krueger
wrote:

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 21:20:51 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

Dan Krueger wrote:

I'd take a Glock 34 any day over that wheelgun. Fully legal mag on the
Glock holds 17 rounds, standard barrel is 5" long, and if you need
them,
lasergrips are available. Oh, and my guess is the semi-auto mechanism
is
inherently more accurate than the wheelgun's.

You have a single or double action wheelgun? If double, you keep a
chamber empty for safety's sake? If so, that means the G34 mag holds
more than three times the number of rounds.

How is that 17 round magazine legal? Pre-ban?

Nope. Perfectly legal in Maryland.

I'm not sure how you can say the semi-auto is "inherently" more
accurate
than a revolver. A barrel is a barrel. The same bullets pass through
them.

How they get to the barrel matters.

True. However, I much prefer revolvers because they are simpler,
easier to reload (quicker actually) and easier to handle.

Their major disadvantage is number of rounds, but accuracy more than
makes up for it.

I own more than a few guns and I use them for sport. I do keep one or
two around for self defense but that's another thread.

I have revolvers and semi-auto's. How do you figure that the revolvers
are more accurate? Trigger pull is similar as are the lengths of the
barrels. What am I missing?

Call it an old man's preference. Bill pretty much explained it,
revolvers have a fixed barrel where the old semi-autos didn't. Back
in the day, I couldn't hit the side of a barn with the venerable .45
Navy 1911. In fact, I had a hard time qualifying with it. With a
revolver, I had no problem. I know other guys who had the same
problem.

I've found that most folks who don't shoot on a regular basis can
focus better on the end of an open barrel than along a rail like a
semi-auto has. Another issue in accuracy is the tendency for people
with high capacity mags tend to spray rather than aim - a revolver
forces you to aim - you just can't spray bullets all over the place.

As to reload, 8 out of 10 times, I can reload my .357 mag and .44 mag
faster than the top state cop who just happens to belong to my rod and
gun club. I won't even begin to tell you that I can shoot more
rounds than he can, but under pressure, I'm more accurate.

Later,

Tom

I think some of these people have never seen or used a speedloader. They
work just fine. But, the real issue is this: In the vast majority of gun
confrontations involving citizens, only 2-3 rounds are fired. If anyone
needs documentation for this, all they need to do is read the reports in the
monthly NRA magazine. High capacity magazines are fun to use, but their
tactical advantage is really only for cops.