Netsock

Default Best Handheld VHF?

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 14:40:34 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 13:31:02 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

*JimH* wrote:
I was told by my friend, an electrical engineer with NASA, that the CG could
pick up the transmission on my 5w handheld most everywhere on Lake Erie.

================================================= =

Total BS. If you get 10 miles with a handheld you are doing well.

Well...it really depends on antenna height and gain. You certainly are
NOT going to get a 10 mile range on a rubber-duck antenna, but 5 VHF
watts on a high mounted, high gain antenna could do very well over
flat seas.

I also heard a few years ago, that the CG has solar powered, buoy
mounted, VHF repeaters throughout the US Great Lakes. I haven't seen
any documentation to prove this, but if that's the case, your NASA
buddy may be right.
__

"It's just about going fast...that's all..."

http://home.columbus.rr.com/ckg/