Short Wave Sportfishing

Default newbie buying a used cruiser-what size best?

On 13 Mar 2004 14:26:06 -0800, (Trevor) wrote:

I haven't boated much (just boating on friends boats)and want to get
an idea of a managagable size boat to purchase. Is 31 ft too long, or
should I purchase a 27 or 28 footer to begin?

Interesting - we just had a thread on this.

Here's where you need to start - figure out what your actual needs
are, then go from there. By "needs" I mean exactly what you want to
do in a boat - not want, but actually what you need the boat to do.

Once you discover that, you will have an idea of what kind of boat you
should purchase.

As to length, for a fir time boat, it's not a great idea, but with
time, instruction from a competant boater/captain with larger boat
experience, that's not a problem.

Looking back, what would you have done differently when you you first
took the plunge buying your first boat?

I would have bought a 52 foot Hatteras or Bertram instead of a 13 foot
Boston Whaler Sport with a 25 horse Merc.

Of course, I was 12 at the time, but still... :)

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
"Do fishermen eat avocados? This is a question
that no one ever thinks to ask."

Russel Chatham, "Dark Waters" (1988)