Marc O.

Default Bareboat Charter Tipping

wrote:

I've chartered two sail boats in the last four months. In one case
there seemed to be no one who was angling for a tip. In the second
case, both the briefer and the boat cleaner seemed to think I might be
interested in leaving them with a gratuity. In the last several years
of chartering and crusing I've never tipped people at the charter
operations. Execution at some has been better than others, but I never
felt like anyone did something other than what was appropriate for the
situation.

Comments anyone?

Usually one doesn't give tips with bareboat charters. In case of skippered or
crewed charters though, it is common to give tips up to 10% of the total
charter amount if you are happy with the service received. In the end it is up
to you whether or not, and how much, to tip.

Marc Onrust
MarineYacht, Worldwide Yachtcharters
www.marineyacht.com