Doug Kanter

Default Eyewitness: "I Never Heard the Word 'Bomb'"

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:

Doug Kanter wrote:
"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
On 8 Dec 2005 18:31:54 -0800, wrote:

You couldn't begin to compare this situation with say, Kent State,
for
example.
I'm betting that by tomorrow, it will be a racial incident and that
the Reverend Jackson will be right in the middle of it.

Interesting though that it's the second Brazilian shot dead in the
past six months or so for refusing to respond to police commands.

Anyway, there were more witness reports of the guy talking about
bomb
that the two who said they never heard it, so it probably was a
good
shoot. Those guys have a tough job - I hope the Marshall can
handle
it without falling apart.

The fellow who was shot was a US citizen, and I believe he was a
native
of Costa Rica.
Apparently, he's been here since 1986. More than enough time to
understand shouted requests to show his hands, put down the bag, etc.
Sure, unless you suffer from a serious mental illness.

As I stated, hopefully there will be a coroner's inquest.
If you were alone in the covered ramp with him and he refused to follow
your
instructions, what would YOU have done, Harry? The guy's got a backpack
on
his chest, hands inside, and he's refusing to show his hands, etc.
Please
describe YOUR strategy.
Harry is just being difficult for the sake of being difficult. He
knows the Marshal was right in what he did, but his local street cred
would suffer if he didn't take an opposing POV. :)

Doesn't make Harry a bad guy.

I know. But still....I really want to hear Harry's alternative plan of
action.

I would have tasered the guy.

No. The best shot for a taser is the chest. It's the biggest target, shirts
are often thinner than pants, and there's be no belt buckles etc. in the
way. The guy was supposedly wearing a backpack on his chest. No target. You
could aim for the face, but you'd have a very good chance of missing.

If you suggested a taser during your air marshal training, and wouldn't let
go of the idea, you'd probably be sent back to your previous job.