posted to rec.boats.building
David Flew

Default Bruce Roberts

- You did not say if the shipyard was basing the quote on the study plans,
or was going to build from them. There is a huge difference!
- If you want to call it a Bruce Roberts, you MUST buy the rights to use
the design. This may be a little cheaper than buying the complete design
package, but not necessarily.
- re the whole copying thing, my feeling is that for it not to be a copy of
an existing design, it has to have a significant level of "original work".
I don't consider making working drawings from study plans, taking lines off
existing boats, using photographs to reproduce a look-alike to be "original
work".

Conclusion :- if you want a Bruce Roberts, either buy one or pay for the
rights to make one.

David

"GK" wrote in message ...
I am considering to build a Bruce Roberts 370 D.
I have read some pro´s and contra´s concerning his design.
What is your opinion ?

concerning the prices: My very personal opinion is that
the cutting files for the 370 D (!) for about US$ 8 T are overpriced,
as well as to buy the precut steel for about US$ 30 T, only the steel
precut, not the complete steel caso.

I have an offer from a (professional) shipyard which offers me to build
the caso,
based on the 370 D study plans, for less.
What is your opinion about this ?
Is this possible from the technical point of view ?

Thanks,

Fred