Skip Gundlach

Default New portable DVD player....

Hi, Terry, and thanks for the response, left below for context.

Well, yes, and I really detest webmail in all its flavors, but have used
google news when all else failed.

However, I don't know about the ability to do what the thread was about/had
morphed to, which is to download movies and music, in googlenews.

Mostly, I want to be able to use my editor rather than a web-based
interface, as I vastly prefer the threading and ability to dump stuff which
I've already read or don't care to read. While googlenews (I'm on google
mail, and my son works for them in Ireland, so I don't have any problem with
google per se) will thread, they also don't show me stuff which has come up
about older topics, unless I work back through it all to find, and I don't
much care for the presentation in general (lots of clutter not related to
the messages).

In my editor, it's just like my inbox - once I've read it (or marked it
such), those posts are hidden from me (though I can fetch them by altering
my "view" in the editor), so only the new stuff comes up. Thus, while, if I
were to go to googlenews, I'd get all the recent *new* posts, I'd not get
this, which is a followup to a much older thread. However, in my editor
(outlook express in my case), only this and a couple of others, new since I
last visited here earlier today, show.

Loved your story about being becalmed, by the way...

L8R

Skip, chewing on whether I want to spend $15/month to read newsgroups

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
"Terry Spragg" wrote in message
Skip Gundlach wrote:
Hi, Larry, and group,

I apologize if we've covered this ground before, but...

If any have been following my quest to have wifi wherever I throw out the
hook, you'll know that I'm pretty close, leaving that part until I get
the other shoreside wrapups done first. However, if I'm surfing a
hotspot, I'm not subscribed to any newsgroups from that location.

Meanwhile, thanks for the very thorough tutorial in the other areas
needed (left below for latecomers)! But...

How do I do newsgroup subscriptions through a foreign (not native to my
machine, therefore, not keyed to a service they provide) ISP, unknown to
me (I wouldn't know the ISP, and even if I did, most likely it would be
keyed to whomever it was that provided the signal, which I would not
know)?

Thanks.

L8R

Skip, in dialup hell unless I'm on the boat, which will be some time in
the foreseeable future as rehab continues apace

Your borrowed, radio linked, localized user account, enabled by his isp,
may not offer usenet service, or a connection to the newsgroup server you
may want on usenet, gopher or whatever. But, usegroup news is still
available via other http://www.hypertext.services, google included,
usually in an inferior format, with colour pictures, ads, etc, at lower
speed than even dialup usenet. Once you have established an internet
connection, you may http to your hearts content, worldwide, unless blocked
by a firewall in the radio router or in his isp. You may find very few
unencrypted links open.

Rogers, my isp who is discontinuing usenet, says:

"Customers with a continuing desire to read or post Usenet text messages
or who wish to access Usenet binary groups can subscribe to third-party
Usenet service providers such as Giganews (our supplier up until the point
when we discontinue Usenet) who offer a full Usenet service on a paid
basis: http://www.giganews.com/ "

Or, try
http://groups.google.ca/group/rec.bo...ec54d024283e03

http://groups.google.ca/group/rec.boats.cruising