*JimH*

Default Wednesday's shooting of airline passenger...

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Jim Carter wrote:
"Harry Krause" wrote in message
The coroner will certainly perform an autopsy, but that's not the same
as a coroner's inquest. The latter is a hearing in which witnesses may
be called to testify. It's not a criminal proceeding, but a fact-minding
mission. If after the inquest a coroner believes a crime may have been
committed, the prosecutor will be informed.

Harry, here is a good question that must be answered about this shooting.
Which coroner will be involved in this case? A Federal one, a Florida
State one or a county coroner? It happened with a Federal Air Marshal
doing the shooting of an international air transit passenger of US
citizenship in a Florida airport walkway but the airport has County
Sheriff
Department protection? This will be interesting.

Jim C.

I was wondering that myself. I would guess the City of Miami and Dade
County have jurisdiction generally. Usually, a coroner is a city or county
official.

There are normally autopsies when one dies while not under the care of a
physician.

The coroner is usually the top ranking official in the County, trumping all
other law enforcement officials.