NOYB

Default OT--Bush's approval rating on the rise heading into the holidays

wrote in message
ups.com...

NOYB wrote:
Poll: Bush's Ratings Bump Up

(CBS) There is good news and bad news in this poll for President George
W.
Bush. Americans have become more positive about the economy; more than
half
think the economy is in good shape, an 8-point increase since October.

The President's overall approval rating has risen from 35 percent in
October
to 40 percent now, and his ratings on handling the economy and the war in
Iraq have also improved.

HOW IS THE WAR GOING?

Very/somewhat well
Now 46%

Oct. 2005 40%

DID U.S. DO THE RIGHT THING GOING TO WAR WITH IRAQ?

Right thing
Now 48%

Oct. 2005 42%

VIEWS OF THE ECONOMY

Good

Now 55%
10/2005 47%

Solid improvements across the board. Should be a very happy New Year!

The 2006 mid-term campaign is underway, with Bush now making half a
dozen speeches per month to resell a skeptical public on the invasion
and continuing occupation of Iraq.
IMO, the R's should have kept their closer in the bullpen until a later
inning. He'll tire, and the public will tire, of the same old fastball
pitch after pitch.

You could have a point here. But the corollary to that argument is that
Bush needs to ride the wave while the news is good. The economic numbers
coming out lately have been fantastic, driving up consumer confidence. This
is reflected in the 8 point bump in peoples' positive view of the economy.
And as you know, confident consumers spend more, making it a self-fulfilled
prophecy.

Another area where Americans are feeling more confident is with the war in
Iraq. There's a 6 point jump in the number of people who think we did the
right thing by going into Iraq...and an equal 6 point jump in the number of
people who think the war in Iraq is going well. The December 15th election
in Iraq will only help to boost people's confidence.

The final boost to Bush's poll numbers is the daily reminder coming from
Iraq that we are in a war against terrorism. Everyday, we see suicide
bombing terrorists blowing up civilians riding buses in Iraq, and we realize
how fortunate we have been to be immune from such attacks for over 4 years
now. That's pretty amazing in a time of war...and people are beginning to
give Bush the credit he deserves.