rhys

Default Longest Dead Calm (or Becalmed) Sailing Experience?

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 05:23:11 GMT, "Bryan"
wrote:
What is the longest dead calm you've experienced? Were you relaxed, you
know, calm, about it? How long did it take before it started to get to you,
if at all?

Nothing as remotely dramatic as I have yet to sail anywhere but Lake
Ontario. But this little drinkable sea is known for dead air in the
summer, and we spent three days a few years back going a miserable 50
miles (essentially propelled by a weak current setting east) between
Toronto and Cobourg in a June with 30 degree heat. The bugs were
ferocious even four to five NM offshore, and I was all purist and
gung-ho to "sail, because it's a sailboat". Despite casting off the
pretense of staying clothed, it was pretty futile and hard on the
gear. What finally made me reach for the engine key was the sight of
my Zodiac on a long bridle driving ahead of the cockpit...an unmanned
rubber runabout was a better sailor than me....sigh...

R.