Default E-Tec - Whats your experience?

Tom,

thanks for your info

Is an Etec 150 quieter as a Yamaha 150 4 stroke? How about fuel use? I
guess is the same.

Not only is it quieter, it burns cleaner and is more fuel efficient by
about 20/30%.

Do you have first hand experience 4stroke vs Etec? Is a 150 Etec
quieter than a 150 Yamaha 4 stroke? Not just at idle but throught the
RPM range lets say up to 4500?

at WOT we dont care

How much oil does the Etec burn with TCW3 and XD100 oil?

Don't even bother wtih XD-50 although it will burn it, it burns about
the same rate as the FICHT. To tell you the truth, I don't know what
we burned this year in total as we haven't done the year end figures
yet, but last year we used two and a half to three gallons total over
the summer. I'll get back to you later today.

Bombardier used to state on their webpage how much oil the motor uses
.... with the special oil it was about half of the TC3 use ... I cant
find that info anymore ... The oil use does not appear anywhere in
their brochure ...

Can an ETec be rebuilt?

Any engine can be rebuilt. Are you asking if you could rebuild it?

I am wondering because it has those specially coated cylinders (boron
nitrate or whatnot) If you rebiuld the engine how doe the coating get
back on there?

One word of warning. There is a denizen who haunts this newsgroup who
has a thing about this technology and will probably surface to attempt
to dissuade you.

You mean Karen? I think she does have points and what she argues makes
sense. But it looks like these days the lean burn issues dont cause
Kabooms anymore...

I currently have a 200 HP optimax. It is great on fuel but gobbles up
the oil .. also it is LOUD. The main reason I want to get rid of it

Boating is relaxing if you glide through the water but not if your
eardrums are hurting

If you want to ask more complex details, go to
http://www.swsports.org, follow the email instructions and we'll chat
about E-TEC.

Great! I shall look into that

Good luck - hope this helps you a little.

It does, thanks again!

Matt