*JimH*

Default Boarded by the Coast Guard yesterday

"NOYB" wrote in message
ink.net...

" *JimH*" wrote in message
news

"NOYB" wrote in message
nk.net...

" *JimH*" wrote in message
. ..

"NOYB" wrote in message
ink.net...

wrote in message
oups.com...

NOYB wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

NOYB wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

(!) He
looked really puzzled after he asked whether we had our
sanitation Y
valve wired shut and I told him "no". I let him stew for a few
seconds
before telling him we have an approved Type I MSD.

Whenever a vessel equipped with a Type I or Type II MSD (these
types
discharge treated sewage) is operating in an area of water that
has been
declared a No Discharge Zone, the MSD cannot be used and must be
secured
prevent discharge.When operating in a No Discharge Zone, a Type I
or Type
II
MSD must be secured in some way to prevent discharge. Closing the
seacock
and padlocking, using a non-releasable wire-tie, or removing the
seacock
handle would be sufficient.

http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknow...ting/4_2_f.htm

Chuck,
If you have a Type I or Type II MSD, the MSD must be secured with
seacock
and padlocking or wire-tie.

From the definitions that I've read, it appears that I have a
Type III
MSD...and only the Type III MSD doesn't need to be padlocked or
wired
shut.
Your Type I MSD *does* need to be secured according to the
description
that
I posted above.

You've got it backward, NOYB.

"Whenever a vessel equipped with a Type I or Type II MSD (these
types
discharge treated sewage) is operating in an area of water that has
been
declared a No Discharge Zone, the MSD cannot be used and must be
secured to
prevent discharge."

http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknow...ting/4_2_f.htm

Here's the portion that you keep overlooking:

"Whenever a vessel equipped with a Type I or Type II MSD (these
types
discharge treated sewage) is operating in an area of water that has
been
declared a No Discharge Zone,............................

Most of Puget Sound is *not* a no discharge zone. It is, of course,
illegal to discharge *untreated* sewage anywhere in inland waters or
less than three miles off shore. The difference is that in a "no
discharge zone" you can't dump treated sewage, either.

Thanks.

Are you going to believe me now?

I believed you before. I just was confused as to why Gould felt that he
didn't need to secure his Type I MSD...and the answer was that he was
not in a "No Discharge Zone".

So tell me...
How do I use wire to secure my thru-hull seacock?

Remove the handle or wire the handle closed with a plastic wire tie.

Plastic suffices?

I always assumed so. As long as it is not a reusable type.