NOYB

Default Boarded by the Coast Guard yesterday

wrote in message
oups.com...

NOYB wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

NOYB wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

(!) He
looked really puzzled after he asked whether we had our sanitation Y
valve wired shut and I told him "no". I let him stew for a few
seconds
before telling him we have an approved Type I MSD.

Whenever a vessel equipped with a Type I or Type II MSD (these types
discharge treated sewage) is operating in an area of water that has
been
declared a No Discharge Zone, the MSD cannot be used and must be
secured
prevent discharge.When operating in a No Discharge Zone, a Type I or
Type
II
MSD must be secured in some way to prevent discharge. Closing the
seacock
and padlocking, using a non-releasable wire-tie, or removing the
seacock
handle would be sufficient.

http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknow...ting/4_2_f.htm

Chuck,
If you have a Type I or Type II MSD, the MSD must be secured with a
seacock
and padlocking or wire-tie.

From the definitions that I've read, it appears that I have a Type III
MSD...and only the Type III MSD doesn't need to be padlocked or wired
shut.
Your Type I MSD *does* need to be secured according to the description
that
I posted above.

You've got it backward, NOYB.

"Whenever a vessel equipped with a Type I or Type II MSD (these types
discharge treated sewage) is operating in an area of water that has been
declared a No Discharge Zone, the MSD cannot be used and must be secured
prevent discharge."

http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknow...ting/4_2_f.htm

Here's the portion that you keep overlooking:

"Whenever a vessel equipped with a Type I or Type II MSD (these types
discharge treated sewage) is operating in an area of water that has been
declared a No Discharge Zone,............................

Most of Puget Sound is *not* a no discharge zone. It is, of course,
illegal to discharge *untreated* sewage anywhere in inland waters or
less than three miles off shore. The difference is that in a "no
discharge zone" you can't dump treated sewage, either.

Thanks.

Here's mo

[[Page 503]]

(b) When operating a vessel on a body of water where the discharge
of treated or untreated sewage is prohibited by the Environmental
Protection Agency under 40 CFR 140.3 or 140.4, the operator must secure
each Type I or Type II device in a manner which prevents discharge of
treated or untreated sewage. Acceptable methods of securing the device
include--
(1) Closing the seacock and removing the handle;
(2) Padlocking the seacock in the closed position;
(3) Using a non-releasable wire-tie to hold the seacock in the
closed position; or
(4) Locking the door to the space enclosing the toilets with a
padlock or door handle key lock.
(c) When operating a vessel on a body of water where the discharge
of untreated sewage is prohibited by the Environmental Protection Agency
under 40 CFR 140.3, the operator must secure each Type III device in a
manner which prevents discharge of sewage. Acceptable methods of
securing the device include--
(1) Closing each valve leading to an overboard discharge and
removing the handle;
(2) Padlocking each valve leading to an overboard discharge in the
closed position; or
(3) Using a non-releasable wire-tie to hold each valve leading to an
overboard discharge in the closed position.
[CGH 95-028, 62 FR 51194, Sept. 30, 1997]So what constitutes a
"non-releasable wire-tie"? And how do I fasten it to my thru-hull
seacock?Would monel wire wrapped several times around it suffice?