NOYB

Default E-Tec - Whats your experience?

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 14:14:21 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

Tom,
I've been liking everything I hear about the E-tec except for one thing.
can't get over how much the cost of the oil affects the cost to operate.

If it burns oil at a 100:1 ratio, and you pay $30/gallon for the oil, that
adds 30 cents to every gallon of fuel you burn.

You are right about the 100:1, but, believe it or not - up to you,
there is almost zero waste flowing through the crankcase. I don't
know the exact figures because as I said, we haven't gotten around to
doing the year end figures yet, but compared to my FICHT last year,
the E-TECs burned close to 45% less oil - E-TECs EMM handles an
almost total burn which increases efficiency by an amazing amount. Add
the superior gas efficiency to a four stroke and you are well ahead
of the ROI. horse power to horse power over a four stroke.

So when the four-stroke guys are buying gas at $2.50/gallon, you're paying
$2.80/gallon after you add in the cost of the oil.

No - we figured it out based on last years figures that we were adding
maybe .05¢ to a gallon of gas using the XD-100. Using the XD-50 you
have a point. And with the new, improved XD-100, it might even be
less than the .05¢ a gallon.

For a guy like me who probably goes through 2000 gallons of gas each year,
that's an extra $600 in oil costs. If the oil burn rate is closer to
50:1,
then the oil costs jump to a whopping $1200 extra per year!

I can't speak to your situation, but my Sea/Tow friend that I sub for
on occasion says he saved close to 40% of his total fuel costs with
his E-TECS. He has Suzuki's on his other boat so that's a decent
comparison.

If you do your own oil changes on the four strokes, your cost to maintain
those four-strokes will run about $150/year.

If you're paying a dealer to maintain the engines, then it's a whole
'nuther
story. You'll pay about $500/year to maintain them, and you'll have the
hassle of being without the boat three times as often as the E-tec due to
the recommended service schedule. To me, this is the only true advantage.

The weight difference between my Suzuki DF250 and an E-Tec 250 is
practically negligible. And the Suzuki's 16" prop and lower gearing makes
up for any perceived low-end grunt deficit common to four-strokes.

I'd buy the one with the cheaper price tag and better dealer support.

You have a slight point with the dealer support. Around here, we have
a superior BRP/OMC guy who really knows these engines inside and out
so that's not a major concern.

As to price, cost isn't everything. Environmentally, E-TECs are
cleaner, burn less gas and will beat the snot out of any four stroke
horse power to horse power in top end and acceleration. I know a
fellow who has a 185 Ranger with a 90 E-TEC and he can out run, out
hole shot and out everything a comparable boat with a 150/200 whatever
on it. I wouldn't have believed it myself, but he can out hole shot
me in my 200 C Ranger and I've got 110 hp on him and a superior prop.

There are pros to buying cheap, but I'd prefer to keep most of my
money on this side of the ocean rather than Japan. The only reason
Yamaha's and Suzuki's are popular is purchase cost because it isn't
superior technology.

By the way, I went to look at a 282 Grady White today - I'm thinking
as my partner is finally financially secure enough and he wants to
purchase the Contender. I'm not convinced I want a 282 - I'm thinking
an Albin or maybe even one of the new Topaz, but I'm not a diesel fan.

If you want outboards, I'd look at the Grady White or Pursuit. I chose the
Grady because I heard that Grady White is far superior to work with if you
have a problem after the sale.

If you decide on diesels, be sure to check out Albemarle and Caroline
Classic.

I like that Albin, and it's extremely economical to run if you don't mind
cruising at 18 knots on a single engine.