posted to rec.boats.electronics
Tricky Dicky

Default More Breaker Panel Mess

On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 18:54:28 -0500, Larry wrote:

"johnhh" wrote in
:

So are you complaining that the AC ground and DC negative are both
connected to the boats ground

"Boats ground"? What's that? The boat is made of PLASTIC, an insulator.
It has no "ground". It has a negative battery bus. It has an AC supply
ground connected to the shore power ground system. What's the "boats
ground"?

Not everbody has a "Tupperware" boat Larry. Some of us have steel
boats. I sincerely hope that your philosophy changes for these.

The best problem that I found on a boat was the following.

Steel boat in at a dock connected to 240v shoreline.
Boat was pressure washed and sparks were seen when the lance touched
the hull.
I was asked to check it out.
Finally found that the hull was sitting at 24v dc above shore ground.
Went searching and found that the metal end cover on the charger was
touching an uninsulated crimp lug. The DC -ve was not connected to the
hull.
If the system had been installed correctly this would not have
happened.
I am glad that my Steel hull was not mored nearby!!!

Richard

Nb "Pound Eater" Parkend G+S