posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

Default More Breaker Panel Mess

chuck wrote in news:hAskf.8744$N45.1460
@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Next, you grab your engine with one hand and open the door of your
fridge with the other as you reach for a cold one and you receive an
unhealthy dose of 60 Hz.

Wow...this scenario is pretty absurd, as I suspected, but I'll respond to
these unlikely events, anyways.

Point...there is NO PATH from your neighbor's boat prop to your boat prop
as the water between the boats IS EARTH GROUND....seawater to earth, a
great ground, even if it's a freshwater lake. The path from the
neighbor's absurd boat, taking the least resistance, is from the boat
into the conductive water to EARTH GROUND, back to the AC source. There
is absolutely no path to you and your absurd fridge. Don't believe me,
take ahold of the hot wire on the dock in one hand and simply touch your
finger to the water with the other. After picking up from the deck,
unplug the boat and try it again to see if there's more current...There's
not. You talk as if your neighbor's prop is only connected to your prop,
which just isn't so....

AS to the breaker trip. If you connect AC hot to the engine block in his
boat in seawater, I'd bet 50A would be just EASY! Seawater is a GREAT
conductor. Fresh water is a fair conductor. Try it yourself. Simply
drop the open plug from your boat into the water with the dock breaker
turned on. There'll be a little buzzing underwater before the breaker
overheats....and it eats the guts right out of the plug....