John H.

Default We purchased a Holdiay tree today......................

On 3 Dec 2005 18:52:36 -0800, wrote:

John H. wrote:
On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 16:59:05 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

Harry, celebrating the birth of these Jews should be done on the day
of their births. I have no problem with that.

Christmas celebrates the day of one particular Jew's birth, Jesus. You
may find that galling, but it's a fact.

--
John

Wishing you the best as we celebrate the birth of our Lord, Jesus Christ.

Nonsense. As far as I know, there isn't a single biblical scholar
willing to state any specific
day of the year as the birthday of Jesus. December 25 was chosen to
allow the Christ-mass to supplant Germanic solstice festivals. And
*that's* a fact.

Nor did I say there was a specific day of Christ's birth. I said that
Christmas celebrates the day...could have been any day. We happen to
celebrate the day on 25 December.

Christmas was rarely celebrated as anything more than just another
minor feast day on the annual religious calendar until some time in the
early 19th century. When you read Acts, do you see examples of early
Christians celebrating Christmas and Easter? How about Paul's letters
to all the early churches, do you read any exhortations to be sure to
remember to celebrate Christmas on December 25, or Easter on the first
Sunday after the first full moon following the spring equinox? Funny
how so many people *insist* that Jesus was born on December 25,
exactly, but don't have a problem with Easter wandering all around the
calendar from year to year.

I don't have a problem with any of it, Chuck. *You* are the one having
the problems with it.

Methinks thou dost protest too much!

(You are one of the *very* few people I know that can state when
Easter occurs. Congratulations. Must have been a good Catholic
upbringing!)

--
John H

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Wishing you the best as we celebrate the birth of our Lord, Jesus Christ.