posted to rec.boats.building
Brian Nystrom

Default Generating plywood panels from hull sections

William R. Watt wrote:
I've played with Carlson Hulls somewhat and it appears that you can
only input 4 or 5 sections, which isn't nearly enough for my needs. If
it can in fact accept the 20 sections that I need to input, perhaps
someone can clue me in on how it's done.

I was thinnking if you had the sections you could enter them into
Greg Carlson's program one or two at a time just to draw the panels. Never
tried it myself.

As far as I can tell, it will only accept a limited number of sections.

Do a google on Blue Peter Marine, software from a chap downunder, has a
functional free version and a more capable Pro demo that can unfold and
develop - he calls it plates - but can't save the output in demo I think,
but maybe its worth a try and if it does what you want and maybe it's not
too expensive...

I had the 8S version and I've downloaded the 9S and "plate enhanced"
demo version. It appears that it can do what I want, but it's going to
take some time to figure out how.

I have the old DOS version. I've not figured out the curvature numbers
that will give flat panels (hard chines). I'm sure it's possible. You also
have to go and set the parameters (eg units of measure) before starting to
key in offsets on that version. You have to put in some things like bow
and transom rake before you can put in offsets too. I had offsets from the
Carlson program I wanted to key into the Blue Peter(BP) program. BP starts
with a simple hull and you add lines and sections. It worked best if I
kept inserting sections between exsisting sections until the hull was
filled out, instead of trying to start at bow or stern and key in sections
sequentially.

The current version allows you to input basic shape parameters (curved
or hard chine, freeboard, etc.) and the number of sections at the
beginning. I'll need to move and modify the sections, but at least it'a
a place to start. I've taken the sections off a skin-on-frame boat I
built, so the design is tested, and I want to duplicate it in
stitch-and-glue.

I used BP because it calculated more hydrostatics numbers
than the Carlson program. It was just an exercise in designing a hull. I
didn't build the boat.

Thanks Bill. I guess I'll just play with the demo version for a while
and if I can generate the panels I need, I'll buy the full-function version.