John H.

Default We purchased a Holdiay tree today......................

On 3 Dec 2005 09:28:48 -0800, wrote:

*JimH* wrote:
Damn it, we got it in the house and it looks just like a Christmas tree.

I always laugh my arse off at the very notion of a "Christmas tree."

Glad the Christmas season brings you some joy.

I've even seen "Christmas Trees" set up in churches. Wow. Talk about
confused........

We use our tree as a place to put gifts for the needy. No confusion at
all. Prior to Christmas day, the gifts are distributed to children who
otherwise may not have any.

Do you find this offensive?

The decorated tree in your living room is a "pagan" symbol of the first
order. The ancient Celts and the Germanic tribes had a solstice
tradition where a small tree would be brought into the home and
showered with offerings (tinsel, jewelry, "ornaments") to honor the
Spirit of the Forest. The tree serves as a sort of altar.

There are other traditions also, Chuck. And, is there something
*wrong* with honoring a deity which cares for the forests?

As one of my friends, (a devout Christian but not a member of a
mainstream sect), points out, there is nothing in the Bible that
commands anybody to celebrate Christmas or even Easter. In fact, two of
the four New Testament gospels don't even mention The Natvity, and you
would think that hosts of angels descending from heaven wouldn't be
such a trivial detail that it was accidentally overlooked.

Have you read somewhere that all of the gospels in the New Testament
must say exactly the same thing?

Is there a religious passage somewhere that says, "Go thou, chop down
a tree, bring it into your home, and make offereings unto it?" Nah,
probably not. In fact, I sort of recall that Jehovah was might upset
when some of his followers were venerating a golden calf.
It ain't that far from a calf to a tree.

Probably no passage saying same.

So what? There is no passage saying, "Buy thyself a boat and cruise
Puget Sound," You do it because you enjoy it. People put Christmas
trees in their homes because they enjoy them. For many, decorating the
tree is a family get-together time that is most enjoyable.

And, the tree provides a centerpiece for the electric train going
round and round its base.

Oh, and take a good close look at that holly and mistletoe while you're
at it. :-)

Holly provides a decorative touch on the fireplace mantel. Intermixed
with candles, lights, and other decorations it adds to the Christmas
cheer.

Can anybody who considers Christmas a Christian and religious holiday
offer a good explanation for the inculsion of a venerated tree? I'd be
fascinated to see it attempted.

http://www.christmasarchives.com/trees.html

....and because we like them. They provide a nice gathering spot for
family and friends and for the opening of gifts on Christmas morning.

It's a shame you miss out on one of the great pleasures of life -
watching the grandchildren opening their presents by the Christmas
tree.
--
John H

"It's not a *baby* kicking, beautiful bride, it's just a fetus!"
[A Self-obsessed Hypocrite]