Doug Kanter

Default Where To Find LARGE Screwdriver for Lower Unit Plugs?

wrote in message
oups.com...
I would like to know where I can find a large screwdriver for the
1/2"-wide plugs in the lower unit. I am currently using a 3/8"
screwdriver. It works "OK". But I have a tendency to damage the plug
if the screwdriver doesn't match the size of the plug. I have a
feeling that the safest way to work with the 1/2" plugs is to use a
1/2" screwdriver. Unfortunately, I cannot find it in stores like Home
Depot or Sears; the largest one that they have is 3/8" that I have
already had. Can someone tell me where to get a large 1/2"
screwdriver?

Thanks.

Jay Chan

Jay, take a VERY close look at the slots in those plugs. If they seem deeper
in the center than at the edges, they're supposed to be removed with
something called a DZUS driver. My Johnson outboard's drain plugs are like
this, and a normal screwdriver (which you can get at Sears, by the way) will
mess up the slots.

This is the tool, from Snap-On:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....store&tool=all

If that link doesn't work, go to http://www.snap-on.com/ and search for part