Gary

Default Longest Dead Calm (or Becalmed) Sailing Experience?

wrote:
On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 05:23:11 GMT, "Bryan"
wrote:

I've never experienced an absence of wind where I didn't have an auxilliary
(sp?), you know, a motor, to fall back on; I've only read of the scenario.

What is the longest dead calm you've experienced? Were you relaxed, you
know, calm, about it? How long did it take before it started to get to you,
if at all?

If not you, what is the longest dead calm our sailing author's have
experienced and lived to tell?

We were returning a Vic Maui boat in 2000. Prior to departure we were
waitng for the rudder to be repaired and were watching the weather -
especially the Pacific high. At one point the high stretched from
Oregon to Japan. Rather than sailing to Japan and tacking, we decided
to power through the high. We lashed 20 five gallon jerry cans to the
stanchions.

Once we hit the high we fired up the iron genny and made a bee line
for the mouth of Juan de Fuca. After about two days of powering, we
about in the middle of the high when we hit a piece of fishing net
about 4 feet by 5 feet. Needless to say the engine came to an abrupt
halt.

After removing the net, we fired up the engine and heard a horrendous
clattter. We thought we had damaged the engine. When you have food
in a freezer and depend on a water maker, this was a disaster. Turns
out it was the transmission.

We wallowed about for about three days trying to get any little puff
of wind. One night about 0200, I was quite depressed and sat in the
salon asking my self what I doing there. I then smacked myself around
a little after I realized I was there, and my job was to get out of
there.

I will never forget being on the helm when I felt the Westerlies as a
small breeze on my cheek. I called for the gennaker which filled
nicely as it came out of the dousing bag. We were off for home.

To add insult to injury we were becalmed again at the entrance to
Juan de Fuca for a day and a half. We eventually got into Port
Renfrew where our skipper wife had an RIB with a good sized engine.
The two of them sailed and towed the boat up to Sidney for repairs.

To those who say that offshore sailing is long periods of tedium
punctuated by episodes of terror, I can add despondency as another
emotion.

After all that I am ready to give it another. Anyone loooking for a
watch captain?

Jack

Jack Dale
ISPA Yachtmaster Offshore Instructor
CYA Advanced Cruising Instructor
Director, Swiftsure Sailing Academy
http://www.swiftsuresailing.com

That was the Vic-Maui that my predecessor won in Oriole. The wind going
was great that year as I understand it.
Did you do the race? (I didn't)