posted to rec.boats.electronics
William Andersen

Default DSC/MMSI for a second radio

Why would I want a second MMSI for a second radio?
I'm going to add a second radio with DSC capability and wonder if there's
any reason to get another MMSI for the second radio.
Since both radios are going to be on the same boat, it seems to me that I
should program the same MMSI in both radios. If one radio fails the other
will be ready to go.
In normal operation, one radio will be primarily used with a direction
finder; the new radio will be the primary communications radio and will also
be connected to my chart plotter to display vessels transmitting DSC
information.