Don White

Default Sailing from Florida to California

Larry wrote:
snip

Never take anyone out in your sailboat that just HAS to "get there". Buy
him or her a plane ticket and tell them you'll call them IF you ever
arrive at THEIR destination, at all. Never try to be "on time" at some
destination because that forces you to pass up anything of interest in
between where you are now and where they will be when their plane touches
down so they can get on with their lives. On this trip, for instance,
you may fall in love with some place or people you encounter and decide
to stay a "few years" or never make it past the place, at all, which is
just fine for "sailors", but not normal, ratraced humans.

snip...

I used to hate it when we would take a new 'passenger' out for their
first (usually last) afternoon sail on the yacht I crewed on. They
always had to be back at the marina in a couple of hours for some other
pressing social engagement. Usually I wouldn't hear about this
rquirement until we were already underway....or I would have told our
skipper.....I'm sitting this one out. If I wanted to rush around, I'd be
out on a stinkpot.