posted to rec.boats.building

Default Calulating Bevels

Hi

It is offcaurse interesting to be able to make these ,but what
equipment do you think will be able to cut and at the same time angle
the cut ?
Also With my experience it is allright to project a boat with huge
panels ,but expecting the most fragile part of the plywood ,-- the
edges -- to work as how real wood worked in the old day's ; that I find
unrealistic.

With small boats these bevls are much easier done on site --------
beside I don't belive you when you say you looked at various lapstrake
designs, as esp. with lapstrake the bevels are done just before you
place the next plank and the material are removed from only one plank,
the one that is there before you place the next aso..

BTW. --- untill this day I havn't seen one single lapstrake design that
as 3D model been used to unfold the planks ; most tradisional plans _do
not_ show the overlaps ; then emagine you unfold planks from a smooth
surface 3D model ,they will be another shape than if unfolded from a
real 3D lapstrake model; they will proberly build a boat but not the
one in your plans.

The exception are Cyber-Boat search for that and you will find
free.download plans that is generated from real 3D lapstrake models.