Rod McInnis

Default Noob question about fiberglass/gelcoat

"Bluetobb" wrote in message
m...
There is a little bubbling and
chipping on the top where you step in to the boat. This does not
really worry me as it seems it will not effect overall strength or
allow water in.

Knowing how this happened would be good. If the bubbling is the result of
something that a pervious owner did, like using a portable barbecue sitting
on the deck, then you can ignore it other than the cosmetic issue. If the
gel coat bubbled for no reason it could indicate that the gel coat was
basically bad. If it was bad on the top, it might be bad in some place
where it really matters.

There is a second crack that is under the boat on the left side under
the water line. It looks like it may have hit something.

Again, if the crack is the result of a collision then it might not be an
issue. On the other hand, if the crack is the result of the hull flexing
under stress then it could be a big issue. Where is the crack, front to
back? It was due to a collision then I would expect it to be fairly far
forward. If it is a stress crack then I would expect it to be at a spot
that impacted the waves as the boat pounded through heavy chop.

Rod