DSK

Default Boats, friends, cash and gas

This has been an interesting thread, thanks for starting it.

Paul Dougherty wrote:

Hello Group,
I have a friend who I take out on my boat very often fishing. Grant
it, it is a small boat 16' 6". But it still runs on fuel. He never has
offered to pay for fuel or help to wash all the crude out of it from
fishing.

Your friend is either a dunce or a deadbeat. You and the other guys talked
it over in front of him, right? He didn't offer a dime when everybody else
chipped in, right?

I've had several friends who were deadbeats. After noticing their pattern,
and confirming it, I either quit doing things with them, or (if their
company was worth it) only did things with them that the cost would not
bother me. One of my best friends during and after college was a
deadbeat... part of it was that he had been poor most of his life, and
even after landing a good job could not bring himself to spend money (I
think... we never talked about it and he's dead now).

You have to decide for yourself whether to 1- stop inviting him or 2-
discuss the issue with him with as much humor and grace as you can
(preferably before inviting him again) or 3- just putting up with his
deadbeat ways.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King