Bluetobb

Default Noob question about fiberglass/gelcoat

So if it was actually effecting the fiberglass how much would it cost
to repair it?

It sounds like if it is just the gel coat I can fix that myself for
$20. The gelcoat is white so making the color should not be hard.

Thanks
Dan

"Lawrence James" wrote in message link.net...
It is difficult to evaluate it over the net but you should know that
fiberglass is a lot more flexible than gelcoat. So it is not unusual to
have cracks in the gelcoat that do not extend into the fiberglass. No doubt
it hit something. If it is not going to live in the water then it is
probably just a cosmetic problem. It can be fixed by grinding a V into the
crack and then putting some new gelcoat in it. The hardest part is matching
the color.

"Bluetobb" wrote in message
m...
I tried to use the search function but could not come up with a
satisfactory answer. Let me preface my questions with the fact that I
have never owned more than a 12' row boat with a 9 hp motor and my
knowledge about boats reflect that haha. I am thinking about buying a
1994 bass boat that is all fiberglass. There is a little bubbling and
chipping on the top where you step in to the boat. This does not
really worry me as it seems it will not effect overall strength or
allow water in.

There is a second crack that is under the boat on the left side under
the water line. It looks like it may have hit something. There is a C
shaped crack about 10" to 12" long with small much lighter stress
cracks around it. I pushed on it and it seems strong but I can catch
my finger nail on the main C shapped crack as I drag my nails lighty
accross the bottom surface of the boat. Is this something to be
concerned about? What is the best and worst case senarios? How much
would it cost to have it repaired?