Joe Blizzard

Default Replacing my front motor mount

"Don Dando" wrote
If adjustment allows, I use a piece of 2" wide 1/4"
thick aluminum angle as long as possible to span
the bad wood full length if possible. There is a
chance that the only real bad portion is where the
lag bolts are attached to the wood and that there is
good wood on beyond that.

I've already removed all the wood. There was still some good wood in there,
but it wasn't secured to anything. The whole mounting pad was only held in
place by a single layer of woven roving fiberglass over the top of it.

Do all possible to seal out water in the future. (Most
likely the manufacturer didn't do this step).

That's my plan and no, they didn't. In fact the fiberglass around the wood
created a little well that held water.

Naturally you'll have to re-adjust the motor mount so the shaft and gimbal
bearing run true due to the additional 1/4" height. Should last

"forever".

I already had the drive off for bellows replacement when I started this, and
was planning on a realignment anyways, so that's no biggy.