posted to rec.boats.building
MMC

Default drinking water tank

I made the holding tank and ice box for my old 32' Traveler by first fabbing
a mock up with cardboard, (you can make a lot of adjustments/mistakes with
cardboard for free!)
Once I had the shape I wanted, I took the cardboard parts and used them for
patterns for 1/4 exterior fir plywood. I then laid 2 or three layers of fg
cloth/epoxy on the inside surfaces of the plywood pieces before assembly
with bronze ring nails. I then filleted (epoxy and low density filler) and
taped the fillets (cloth and epoxy). I installed deck plates on the holding
tank for clean out.
For the ice box, I placed a pan of boiling water inside and closed the lid
and left until the water cooled. As I remember this was to harden the epoxy
and keep odors down. Something like that anyway, sounded like a good idea
and I never noticed any (odors).
I got that from "This Old Boat" (I think) which is a great book for anyone
wanting to work on their own boat.
MMC

"Kevin Brooker" wrote in message
Can I make a potable water tank with FG/epoxy or does it need to be
lined w/ something? I have an odd space I'd like to store water in and
an not sure of the need for a liner. If I need one, any ideas of how
to make an odd shape that can still be accessed for the occational
cleaning? Thanks, Kevin