posted to rec.boats.building
dadiOH

Default drinking water tank

Kevin Brooker wrote:
Can I make a potable water tank with FG/epoxy or does it need to be
lined w/ something? I have an odd space I'd like to store water in and
an not sure of the need for a liner. If I need one, any ideas of how
to make an odd shape that can still be accessed for the occational
cleaning? Thanks, Kevin

I used such for the ten years I lived aboard my sail boat...100 gallon
tank in the forepeak just aft of the chain locker.

Made of 3/4 ply glued with Resorcinol and also bronze screwed to 3/4 x
3/4" hardwood strips along each seam on the interior. Interior was
coated with a couple of coats of Gluvit as was the lid interior. Lid
was then glued & screwed to the rest. For a vent I used a small (3/4"?)
check valve on a plumbing "U" so that as water was pumped from the tank
the check valve opened from air pressure. Though I didn't, the check
valve could be filtered.

Nowadays, I'd probably forego the Resorcinol, screws and Gluvit and just
use epoxy fillets to join and coat the interior with same. Depending on
tank size and how well it was braced from the exterior, thinner ply
would be fine too.

Obviously, it wasn't meant to be cleaned. Never felt a need. If you
insist on being able to open it up to clean, one way would be to put
closed cell foam slightly proud on the top edges of all sides, add
hardwood strips around the outside of all top edges, then bolt the lid
to those strips thereby compressing the foam.

As far as making an odd shape goes, one measures the space then figures
the size of the 6 parts necessary to make a box to fit therein.

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...