posted to rec.boats.building
Evan Gatehouse

Default Balsa deck core

John M wrote:
I presume you are saying that all my secondary bonds like bulkheads, liners,
water and fuel tank supports are about to let go. Epoxy has it's place,
ultrlight racing boats where the same strength can be had at much lower
weight and as a glue resorcinol is a pain. I live e in what used to be the
hub of boatbuilding in Canada and have seen many boats new and old repaired
with the same material they were built in that is polyester none that I know
of have yet disintegrated.
John

Hey, I've seen many boats built with polyester that had the
tabbing pull free from plywood bulkheads. You can use
polyester if you like, but given the amount of epoxy you're
talking about for a 20' deck repair, the cost difference is
trivial. And I think 2 x 12 oz biaxial would be ample
for an inside skin, given typical spans you'd find on this
size of boat and a core thickness of = 1/2".

Evan Gatehouse