Jonathan W.

Default On serious bilge pumping........

Lee Huddleston wrote:

Jonathan,

I also meant to share with you another thing I have done to help in a
situation like you found yourself. I installed a Y valve in the
raw-water intake for the engine. One side of the Y goes to the normal
thru-hull. The other side of the Y is attached to a long,
wire-reinforced plastic hose. Most of the time the Y valve is set to
draw water from the thru-hull side. In case of an emergency I can
quickly and easily switch the Y valve to the other side and put the
hose into the bilge, thus using the engine as an extra bilge pump.

The arrangement is also useful when it is time to winterize the
engine. I fill up a container with antifreeze, put the hose into the
container, switch the Y valve, and within seconds the raw-water system
is filled with antifreeze.

Lee Huddleston
s/v Truelove
on the hard at Bock Marine
Beaufort, NC

The boat in question is not mine,I was a passenger/crew.

Though, I note, my boat does in fact have a Y valve set up similar to
what you describe.

My Alberg 35 doesn't have a storage space big enough for a trash pump,
engine and hose, but the Rule pump Towboat US brought aboard would fit
away easily.

I've cited it because I'd never seen one before, didn't know it existed.

The Coast Guard's trash pump worked very well

Jonathan

--
I am building my daughter an Argie 10 sailing dinghy, check it out:
http://home.comcast.net/~jonsailr