Garland Gray II

Default Head questions galore

Actually, at the time I didn't know better, so I did not install a vented
loop. I'm sure I thought you couldn't put one on the intake side. (This was
a catamaran, so heeling didn't make the risk greater. ) Now that I think
about it, the survey (it was a 6 month old demonstrator boat) didn't make
mention of this deficiency.

But let me ask you about a related "theory" I have. My old boat w/o a vented
loop had very little odor from the raw water after the head had not been
used for a week or two or more. Only briefly after the first flush. My
present boat w/ a vented loop has a much stronger odor from the raw water
for many flushes. The longer raw water line because of the way the vented
loop is run must affect this, but I wonder if the contact with air in the
vented loop doesn't cause a greater odor problem ?

"Peggie Hall" wrote in message
. net...
Garland Gray II wrote:

I figured the rubber valve at top of the pump could leak and bypass
water. And you are certainly right about the possibility of the lever
being left in the wet position. My old boat csme with no vented loop, and
if someone was careless, the water would nearly fill the bowl.

So it's safe to assume that you DID install a vented loop? Which, btw,
should NOT be installed in the intake line between the thru-hull and the
pump..it has to go between the pump and the bowl...to replace the short
piece of hose the mfr uses to connect 'em. There are exceptions...electric
macerating toilets--in which case it's necessary to add an electric
solenoid valve--and some very high end manual toilets that have dual pumps
and don't have that short piece of hose.
--
Peggie