posted to rec.boats.building
John M

Default Balsa deck core

Matt:
Actually I don't do repairs on cars.
You mention Tomahawk and her "polyester patch job" how about the other five
boats that lost their masts or the eight that were damaged or for that
matter the 96 that dropped out. All polyester patches?
There are many boats built down to a price that will have parts falling off.
But think off all the plain old polyester and glass boats that have been
around the world with little or no problems.
Which brings to mind a British catamaran whose name escapes me at present,
that was built for a round the world record attempt in 1999 or 2000. Built
of prepreg epoxy, carbon fiber all the latest high tech. On its first test
run in weather that wasn't to bad its bows fell off. I won't blame the epoxy
or carbon fiber.
My point is epoxy and polyester have their place but nothing replaces proper
building practices.
With prices of epoxy at $74 a gallon and polyester at $105 for 5 gallons
it's hard to believe there is only a $200 difference in a $5000 job.
John

"Matt Colie" wrote in message
John,

Do you do body repairs with window screen and plastic filler?
You can make it look just as good as steel?

If you would go to sea in a boat patched with polyester, be my guest.
One of the famous ones in the book is "Tomahawk". She sank during a
Bayview Mackinac in the mid 80's. That was a polyester patch job.

A clients mast came down when it buckled at the spreaders because the
tabbing for the anchor for the lower came away from the hull side.

I helped recover a sloop that lost its steering because one of the turning
blocks came adrift.

Those last two were both bond failures of parts installed at teh builders
yard.

We are set up for resin infusion in several versions (skrimp, spike and
texp2) but none are well suited to most non-molded assemblies (that most
repairs).

Epoxy is used in repairs for two reasons, it has cohesive and adhesive
bond properties that far exceed that of poly or vinylesters. We
specialize in fixing things - once. Our clients only talk to us if they
want a first class job. We clould save the client 1or 200$ on a 5k$ job
by using cheap materials. We use only epoxy.

You can do what you want, but some of are not interested in doing it ont
he cheap - cheap is the price of low value.

Matt Colie

John M wrote:
Just wondering do you guys that use epoxy for everything also use
titanium for auto body repairs after all it's better than steel. It seems
rather silly to repair a polyester and glass boat which is old with epoxy
and the latest high tech fabrics. Why not try resin infusion too
John
"Jim Conlin" wrote in message

I figure it'd be somewhat over $10/ft^2.
Core-cell $4-
maybe 4 laminations of:
12 oz. knitted Glass $10/yd = $.80/ft^2/ply
epoxy $70/gal = $.60/ft^2/ply

paint $1/ft^2
plus abrasives, peel ply, fillers, vacuum bag consumables

"DSK" wrote in message
t...

Lew Hodgett wrote:

You haven't priced materials lately, have you?

Think OIL.

Actually, I have- am buying materials for a carbon fiber
rowing dinghy. But I think you grossly (very grossly)
overestimated the cost & amount of materials needed for
replacing core on a 20' deck.

It's not going to be free, that's not what I'm saying.

DSK