Peggie Hall

Default Head questions galore

Hobieshane wrote:

First, I need to replace my wet/dry cam.

Sincee that may cost you half the price of whole new Jabsco toilet
(which gives you an idea of their quality), I'd replace the whole toilet
with a better one if it were my boat...but that's up to you.

The whale pump appears to pump from the tank, go through a vented loop,
and exit the thru-hull. What I am still confused about is that the
pump out deck hose is connected to this as well. Is it as simple as
when the thru-hull is open, the whale pumps out through it? Otherwise,
I would pump out through the deck fitting.

If there's only a tee or wye fitting in that line, yup...it's that
simple. If there's a y-valve, it's almost that simple...you just have to
turn the handle on the y-valve to direct the flow from the tank to the
pump instead of the deck pumpout fitting.

However, I forgot to mention one more hose that comes off the tank: the
tank vent line, which will come off the tank at or on the top and go to
an above-waterline thru-hull fitting (btw, all your tanks--water, waste
and fuel--have vents, so this applies to 'em all) that'll most likely be
somewhere near the toe rail. It's essential to make sure the vent line
never becomes clogged...'cuz if it does, air displaced by incoming
flushes has nowhere to escape...the tank will become pressurized--which
can have disastrous consequences, from an eruption in the toilet or out
the deck pumpout fitting to a burst tank--and it will also be impossible
to empty the tank, because the pumpout will pull a vacuum. A strong
pumpout can even implode a tank. So check your vent thru-hull
regularly...backflush it each time you pumpout and/or wash the boat. And
cease all use of the toilet immediately if you start to experience
increasing backpressure or the toilet "burps" or backs up till the vent
has been cleared.

I do want to note to everyone that I know to not pump directly to the
lake as I am inland.

In that case, you need to check with local law enforcement to find out
whether you'll have remove the manual pump and all plumbing from the
toilet and/or tank to the overboard discharge thru-hulls. Although
simply "securing" the system from "accidental" overboard discharge as
prescribed by federal law is legal in coastal waters, some states have
made it illegal even to have the ability to discharge the toilet or tank
on inland waters.

As a new Hunter owner, you might want to check out this site:
http://www.hunterowners.com/index.htm I think you'll enjoy it AND learn
a lot from the other owners there.

--
Peggie