Peggie Hall

Default Head questions galore

Hobieshane wrote:

Thanks for all the info. I am familiar with the toilet and the wet/dry
mode. That definitely isn't the issue as I move the lever to dry after
each use. Even in the dry mode, water is entering the head.

As simple as it sounds, I believe the issue is that I've been leaving
the seacock during the week when I'm not using the boat.

It's actually two issues--open seacock AND the wet/dry cam in the pump
has failed...it's not cutting off the flow of flush water any more.
That's a VERY common problem in Jabsco toilets made in the 5-6 years,
due to either a design or tooling defect. And apparently Jabsco has no
intention of correcting it till the mold for that little part wears out.

It also provides an excellent illustration of why relying on the wet/dry
valve instead of closing the seacocks when leaving the boat is VERY
risky...'cuz while it's a common problem in Jabsco toilets, no toilet is
immune from wet/dry valve failure.

I guess I
need to close the seacock between uses as well. This is inconvenient,
but possible as I have pretty easy access to the seacock.

A vented loop in the head intake would prevent water from rising in the
bowl while the boat is at rest, but would not prevent it while the boat
is underway. So, yes...till you replace the wet dry valve--or better
yet, replace the toilet with one that's better quality--you will have to
keep the seacocks closed between uses while underway, but if you install
a loop, you could leave 'em open at the dock.

I am still not sure about the second pump that I have. I will take
pictures and send, but here's a bit better explanation of if:

The pump is a hand pump similar to a manual bilge pump. It forms an
upside down "T".

1. Hose enters boat through seacock and does a loop to about 5' in the
air. This is a 2nd seacock - not the one used for water to enter the
head. It is also larger. Probably 1 1/2" hose vs. the smaller used
for the head intake.

That's your head DISCHARGE...the hose EXITS the boat at that thru-hull.
There should be a y-valve in that line that allows you to choose between
flushing directly overboard or into the tank.

What passes for a manual for your toilet is on the Jabsco website he
http://www.jabsco.com/prodInfo/overv...UAL_TOILET.PDF
You can see a drawing and illustrations of typical installations...I
think if you compare those illustrations to what you have, what you have
will become a lot clearer.

2. It goes back to form the stick part of the T.
3. On the "across" part of the T (bottom of pump), there is flow going
from holding tank to the pump out access on the deck.
I am assuming this is used to help push the material out and to flush
the system.

None of that makes any sense...I'm gonna have to see some photos and
sketches of the plumbing runs to know what you have. What you SHOULD have:

3/4" ID hose from intake through-hull to the pump...at the back on the
bottom of the "compartment" that houses the wet/dry lever and cam.
There should be no loop in that line.

3/4" hose coming off the top of the pump to the inlet fitting on the
back of the bowl. The should be a vented loop in that line that's high
enough to be at least 6-8" above the waterline at any angle of
heel...but there may not be...it may be only a short piece of hose
between the pump and bowl.

Both the pump and the bowl rest on a cross piece called the base. It's
not a pump...the Jabsco manual only has one dual action pump.

1" or 1.5" hose off the back of the bottom of the pump that MAY go only
to a tank, or may go to a y-valve...one side of the y-valve up and over
a vented loop (same height as the intake loop) and to a thru-hull..the
other side to a fitting at or on the top of the tank.

1/5" hose coming off the tank at the bottom...it will either go directly
the deck pumpout fitting, or MAY go to either a y-valve or tee
fitting...one side to the deck pumpout fitting, the other side to a pump
(manual diaphragm...i.e. Whale Gusher, or electric macerator pump), then
up and over yet a 3rd vented loop to a thru-hull--which may be separate
from the direct toilet discharge thru-hull, or may be teed into that
line to use the same thru-hull.

If what you have is much different from that, it's plumbed incorrectly
and needs to be corrected...but I suspect that's pretty much what you
have--+/- some or all vented loops.

If you aren't sure what things like manual discharge pumps, macerators,
y-valves (aka diverter valves) and vented loops look like, do a search
for 'em on any of the marine retail sites.

--
Peggie