posted to rec.boats.building
DSK

Default Balsa deck core

John M wrote:
I presume you are saying that all my secondary bonds like bulkheads, liners,
water and fuel tank supports are about to let go.

Umm, no

... Epoxy has it's place,
ultrlight racing boats where the same strength can be had at much lower
weight and as a glue resorcinol is a pain. I live e in what used to be the
hub of boatbuilding in Canada and have seen many boats new and old repaired
with the same material they were built in that is polyester none that I know
of have yet disintegrated.

If you're talking about the structural 2ndary bonds as put
in by the builder, consider this:
1- they are made under ideal conditions by workmen who
presumably are expert with the materials
2- they still break often enough that it's not uncommon at
all to see grid work, bulkhead tabbing, etc etc, pop loose
from inside the hull.

I was talking about repairs/upgrades done in a garage by the
home handy-man (who in some cases is more expert & produces
higher standard of craftsmanship than the "pro" in the
boatbuilding shop), of which I have also seen many break
loose. If you hang around boats & sailors that push their
boats in hard conditions for a few years, you'll see it
too... and probably hear more. In some cases, a single such
bond failure provides years worth of amusing stories.

Regards- Doug King