NOYB

Default OT--More good news for the holidays

"DSK" wrote in message
.. .
Yep, sales at discount places are UP UP UP... translation, people have
less discretionary income and are buying the cheapest stuff... but at
least they're buying more of it!

NOYB wrote:
Sales dollars don't care if they're being spent on cheap stuff or
expensive stuff.

Really?
Better check that basic econ text again. Hint: Look up the definition of
"substitute."

... The fact is that they're being spent at a rate that is 22% higher
than last year.

Is that adjusted for inflation? And what do you make of the consumer
confidence level?

Does it matter? Inflation isn't anywhere near 22%.

.... it's still very good news that fuel costs only 75% of what it did 5
weeks ago.

Is that a national average?

Yes.

It hasn't fallen that much in our area, but I agree it's nicer to pay less
for gas.

Gas is $2.39/gallon here. I was paying over $3/gallon in early to mid
October.

But why is it only a a 4 1/2 year high? How come the stock market still
hasn't hit as big as when Clinton was President?

Because the stock market was overinflated from overstated (and
fraudulent) corporate earnings reports

Really?
There's been a lot more of that in the past 5 years than in the late
1990s.

No. The news about the corporate earnings reports broke in 2000/2001.
Remember Enron, Worldcom, Global Crossing, etc? Did you pay attention to
what happened to the stock market soon after?

The cheating and lying took place through the 90's. They got *caught* 4-5
years ago.

.....and from "irrational exhuberance" from the dot-coms.

Uh huh... better check the names of some of the last months biggest
gainers on the stock board, NOBBY...

How many of them make up the DJIA?