posted to rec.boats.electronics
Boots

Default Waterproof handheld VHF suggestions?

the Icom units are great.
Capt. boots
"Mika the Spamkiller" wrote
in message

I consider buying a waterproof handheld VHF to be used as
some sort of
reserve radio in case mast and antenna are lost, fixed VHF
fails or
need to abandon the boat...

What about radios that use AA cells instead of rechargable
battery
pack? As far as I understand, rechargable batteries need to
be charged
every now and then even if the radio is not used. And
alkaline AA
cells, though have lower capacity, do not decay. I plan to
leave the
radio in my grab pack, and would not like to worry about
charging NiCd
pack every month...

Any suggestions for a good handheld? What about Icom M-31 ?
Or some
similar reasonably priced set?

Mika