Sir Rodney Smithers

Default Sal****er and Trailer Wheel Bearings

My first boat I trailered exclusively. It was a 15 yr old runabout. My
knowledge of the car and feeding of boats was non existent. I am surprised
it ran as good as it did, without any major problems. It wasn't till I
purchased a new boat, that I bothered to read up about taking care of my
investment (yeah right). I was surprised at how many mistakes I made.

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 15:57:13 GMT, "Butch Davis"
wrote:

Sir Rodney,

When I reach the ramp it takes me a few minutes to get the Transom hold
downs off, put the rods in the holders, load the live bait and ice,
disconnect the winch strap, ready the motor to be lowered, double check
the
drain plug, etc. By the time all these chores are done the bearings, IMO,
are certainly cool enough for launching.

YMMV.

Butch touches on a likely point of interest. All of the following can
contribute to higher bearing temperatures: poor bearing condition,
tight bearing clearances, improper or inadequate grease, overloading,
use and condition of brakes, and speed and duration of travel
immediately prior to launching.

Indeed, YMMV!

--

_ ___c
\ _| \_

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/
Homepage*
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats
Rec.boats at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide