Sir Rodney Smithers

Default Sal****er and Trailer Wheel Bearings

Tom,
How long do you like to wait after hauling your boat for a good distance, to
allow the bearings to cool down. I have not trailered a boat for years, but
I never thought about waiting to dunk my trailer into fresh water. I know
fresh water is much more forgiving than salt water, but today, I would
probably give wait awhile before putting the trailer into the water.

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 02:56:23 GMT, Gene Kearns
wrote:

I'm going to put my boat into sal****er.
Is this a problem for my wheel bearings that won't be resolved with a
fresh
water hose down?

Only if you have a leaky seal and deflated bearing buddies. Remember
that putting hot hubs into cold water will try to create a suction
that tries to pull water into the bearings.

I've seen a hot bearing explode - the damn thing was smoking when the
idiot dunked the trailer. He had to have been blind, stupid or both.