Chuck Tribolet

Default Sal****er and Trailer Wheel Bearings

Didn't you mean:
the structure of the trailer.... especially if NOT galvanized

A GOOD freshwater rinse. Remember that it takes a while for the salt to disolve.

Bearing Buddy does make stainless steel BBs, but they are hard to find.
I usually end up mailordering them direct from BB. The non-SS ones
corrode a bit, but it takes a while.

If salt water boating is a rare occurance for you (like just a couple of times
a year), on the way home, find a freshwater lake with a quiet ramp, and dunk
the trailer nice and good for five or ten minutes. And maybe fire up the motor
and let it idle.

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message ...
On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 02:41:21 GMT, "Bryan"
wrote:

I'm going to put my boat into sal****er.
Is this a problem for my wheel bearings that won't be resolved with a fresh
water hose down?

Only if you have a leaky seal and deflated bearing buddies. Remember
that putting hot hubs into cold water will try to create a suction
that tries to pull water into the bearings.

Do bearing buddies suffer in sal****er?

No, not really.

That being said.... everything will take a beating in salt water. Your
first priority for checking for salt water immersion damage should be:
the brakes.... drums won't last long at all; get disks
the springs... no way to get them as clean as you would like
the structure of the trailer.... especially if galvanized
any hardware.

--

_ ___c
\ _| \_

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/ Homepage*
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats Rec.boats at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide