*JimH*

Default GPS for boat *and* car

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Denis Marier wrote:
"The 10" Furuno sells for about 3x the price of the average decent
laptop."

Check Furuno NAVnet vx2 that combines C-Map, Radar and GPS all on one
screen. Price may vary from one place to another. I saw the 7" display
for
about $1400.00 USD and the 10" display for approx. $2100.00 USD. Myself
could be happy with the 7" display.

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Wayne.B wrote:
On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 13:30:32 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

That 10" Furuno sells for about 3x the price of the average decent

laptop.
===================================

Can your average decent laptop do RADAR, survive a cold shower and be
highly visible in bright sunlight on the flybridge?

:-)

You getz what you pays for...

I rarely give the instruments in the cabin of my boats a cold shower,
but you never know.

--
Bush-Cheney: Over A Billion Whoppers Served!

Those are the prices for just the display, correct?

The 7" unit Wayne was talking about retails for around $2,700. I am sure
you can find it better discounted if you search.

http://www.maritech.com/radar1.htm

a.. Sunlight Viewable 7" Color VGA (480 x 640) TFT LCD Display

b.. AR-coated, high-brightness display unit for improved sunlight
viewability.

c.. New Radome Antenna adjusts antenna rotation speed based on the range
in use, 30rpm in short range and 24rpm in mid/long ranges

d.. 18" Radome / 2.2kW / 24nm Range / 10M Cable

e.. Automatic GST (Gain, Sea Clutter, Tuning) Receiver

f.. Target or Echo Trails with Selectable Time Intervals

g.. Commercially popular SD card format with dual chart/memory card slots

h.. Full compatibility with Navionics Gold charts

i.. Enhanced graphics with 256 color full VGA presentations

j.. Improved screen redraw, scroll refresh, and memory cache

k.. New "Quick Point" L/L direct entry waypoint

l.. 100 target AIS display with I/F module and external AIS Rx

m.. Simplified installation with new "Network Wizard" set-up

n.. Adjustable (In or Out) Radar Guard Zone Alarm

o.. Picture Off-Centering or Target Zoom Mode

p.. Cursor L/L Position Display **

q.. Watchman Mode activates the Radar for Safety and Security

r.. On-Screen Display of Vessel Position, Heading, etc. *

s.. Waypoint Lollipop On-Screen, to simplify Navigation * or **

t.. Full Functioning Infrared Remote Control

u.. Radar Overlay available with appropriate heading sensor (ie. PG500R)

v.. Vessel Position Display in L/L or Loran-C TD's

w.. North-Up, Course-Up or Automatic Course-Up display modes

x.. Plotter, Nav Data, Steering Director or Highway display modes

y.. Up to 8,000 points for ship's track and marks, 999 waypoints, 35 quick
points, 1 MOB, 200

z.. planned routes (max. 35 waypoints/route) and 1 quick route

aa.. Add Multiple Displays by Connecting to NavNet Interface

ab.. Add Network Sounder by Connecting to NavNet Interface